[Gpdd] HEALTH Malocclusion ( Hamlet )

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Nov 22 13:07:02 EST 2009

Heather,

I have just read about Hamlet's problems and I hope that, by now, he is eating again.

Did he have to have a general anaesthetic for the dental procedure? I well remember, before the advent of the rodentologists who can trim teeth while the piggy is awake, spending days, sometimes weeks, getting a piggy up and running after dental work under anaesthesia.

I always gave them pain relief, in the form of children's liquid Nurofen ( ibuprofen ), as the analgesia offered by the vet invariably made them sleepy, which is no good if you are trying to get them eating again. I also used Daktarin Oral Gel in case there was any soreness in their mouths caused by the procedure.

I spent many hours syringe feeding pellet slurry and pushing tiny morsels of mashed veg in the back of their mouths. I recall Oreo existing on watermelon and little rolled up strips of greens until he could finally eat again. Jasmine would lick finely grated carrot from my fingers in addition to her syringe feed. Ginger took over three weeks of cabbage strips until suddenly, one day, she decided that she could eat again. They are all different.

How relieved I am now that the Piggyfriends can have their teeth attended to without anaesthetic and are often eating straight away whilst still on the rodentologists' table. Sometimes they need a little bit more trimmed but can go back the next day or so for a little more work until all is OK.

I agree with ME about the metaclopramide, which saved the life of my little Mulberry more than once when he had gut motility problems ( nothing to do with his teeth but things need to keep moving ).

Piggyfriends with eating problems always receive Metatone tonic but I believe, from previous discussions on here, that it is UK only. I could be wrong and thoroughly recommend this if it is available. It certainly perks them up. I also give them Acidophilus ( from the health food store ) to restore a healthy gut flora.

Mashed banana will easily go down a 1ml. syringe and is often enjoyed by a piggy who, when well, would not go near a banana. It is a good source of potassium. Softened grass pellets mixed with Readybrek is another favourite ( Readybrek is an instant breakfast cereal designed to be made with milk but suits piggies just fine when hot water is used.)  I have had piggies with tooth problems lap up their Readybrek from a dish by themselves. Some will do this with the pellet and Readybrek mix or you can substitute the Readybrek with instant mashed potato. Both are good for the roughage that will be missing from their diet until they can eat hay again.

Hopefully it is just a matter of time before he can eat for himself but in the meantime, get as much as possible into him via the syringe ( and keep an eye on what is coming out of the other end ).

Hugs for Hamlet, the famous onetime LAPS secretary.

Best wishes.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.