[Gpdd] GPDD: (MISC) Different Varieties of Piggies and Cocoa Butter

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Nov 24 13:48:53 EST 2009

Ellen and her beautiful piggies,

If your piggies have long, straight hair, there are three possibilities as
to their types.

The coat of Peruvians falls forwards over their eyes. A pure bred Peruvian,
when brushed out for a show, can look the same from both ends.

Another kind has a coat that grows that grows backwards from their faces and
in England we call these Shelties ( like the dogs ) but I believe that in
the US they are called Silkies.

The third choice is a Coronet, which is a Sheltie with a crest on the head.

If your piggies have rex/teddy type coats with long hair, there are three
more choices.

Texels are long coated rexes, the long coat falling into ringlets.

There is a Merino, which is a Coronet but with a rexed coat.

Lastly there is an Alpaca, which is a rexed Peruvian.

Confused?? Perhaps US readers will correct me on the names if they are
different in your country!

Re the cocoa butter. This is the only product that I have used for the
crystalline lumps around the eyes. It is quite firm when removed from the
pot and, as it is worked into the lump it dissolves, taking the crystals
away with it. I do not think that coconut oil would be as effective as I
assume that it is runnier than the "butter" but I could be wrong. Has anyone
else used this remedy?

I remember reading an article about those giant guinea pigs in South
America. I cut the article from the newspaper but can I find it now? Of
course not! I think that they were fossilised remains but the memory is not
what it was. I'll probably find the clipping when I am looking for something
else!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.