[Gpdd] CARE: shampoo for guinea pigs

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Wed Oct 7 22:26:19 EDT 2009

Frank, you can indeed use baby shampoo to wash guinea pigs.  You don't
need much at all, especially if your piggie is not really dirty.  Often
all a piggie needs is a "butt bath."  Do be careful not to get water in
your piggie's face and make sure the water is neither too hot nor too
cold.  Towel your piggie off gently and use a hair dryer set on low.
Your piggie might not like the sound of the dryer, so take things
slowly.  Make sure the dryer is not too close to the piggie.  If the
dryer feels too hot on your hand, it might be too hot for the piggie.
If this is the first time you've bathed and dried your pig, you might
want to sit on the floor as you dry him/her, in case he or she tries to
jump off your lap.  I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

When I bathe Tumbleweed or Friday, I set a plastic container in the
sink, fill it with just a bit of water, and let them put their front
feet in my hand as I bathe them with the other hand.  This way the
piggie is raised up a bit (in front) out of the water and seems to feel
safer.

Please let us know if you have any more questions about bathing.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday