[Gpdd] [GPDD] Condolences On Donald's Passing

John Zimmer jez_84 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:48:58 EDT 2009

Dear Julie,

When I had to take my Henry to the Vet to help him to the Bridge, he too seemed to know/sense what was "coming".

(I discovered him under the bed in their (the guinea pigs') room, paralyzed. I later learned from my five year old niece that she had been trying to hold him and he had either jumped out of her hands, or she dropped him, and he "scurried" under the bed.

She had no idea he was hurt, nor did she tell me about the incident - until some wheeks after I got his ashes back. She was very sad about it, as Henry had been their's until her daddy gave him to me after I lost my Brighteyes. She had always tried to hold him and cuddle with him when they had him, too, and Henry was not afraid of her and LOVED the attention. They had had him from a baby, so he never knew what it was like not to be held and cuddled.)

In the carride to the Vet, I was cuddling him on my lap in a big fluffy towel, I didn't want him to be jarred and caused any pain, though, he seemed to have no pain.

At the Vet, before I allowed the difficult act to be done, I asked the Vet if she would please take some x-rays first, just in case the paralysis was from something treatable - like a calcium deficiency, though, he had a great diet - rather than a break. She agreed.

Unfortunately, it was a broken spine and I too said my heartfelt goodbyes to my sweet Henry, telling him I'd be with him again one day; in the meantime, he was going to a WONDERFUL place to join all of my other beloved pet and wild animals waiting there...

Henry seemed to understand completely, and even though I know he was suffering, he laid his head on my fingers and licked them. The end came quickly and painlessly for him, not so for me, of course. I sat with his lifeless body for almost an hour before I could stop bawling... Bawling even now as I write this and it has been two years...

Attached below is the link to pictures of my Henry with my dog Precious, who absolutely loved him. She was a rescue dog, herself, rescued the same day I had to say goodbye to my sweet Lady and I got her the next day. (Since GPDD doesn't post photos, here is a link to their photos on MySpace, www.myspace.com/gossimer, Precious and Henry are the first three pics of row two on page six. These were the last pictures I took of my beloved Henry, before I took him to the Vet...)

I've since read somewhere - AND IT'S TRUE - that the best way to get over the loss of a beloved pet is to get another one. Precious helped me through the grief of lossing Lady. Just as Henry and two other rescued guinea pigs, Ariel and Xena (mother and daughter) renamed Mama Bear and Baby Bear, because I couldn't remember which one was which by their previous names, helped me get over the loss of my Brighteyes.

In opening our hearts to our beloved pets, we are opening ourselves to eventual pain, as well. We share that pain with one and other everytime a fellow pet lover suffers a loss.

Julie, to you, and to all here who know that pain all too well, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

God's peace, mercy, love and blessings be with you and everyone, everyday, forever and always.

John, Precious, Poppy, Honey and Tia (I have yet to post photos of Poppy, Honey and Tia, THEY'RE COMING, I promise!) :)

P.S. Here is a link I've posted before which gives me peace, hope and comfort, as well as tears, about The Rainbow Bridge, http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html