[Gpdd] HEALTH: Neutered pig

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Oct 15 13:56:00 EDT 2009

Sandi,

It is usually recommended that a neutered boar is kept away from sows for
3-4 weeks after surgery to ensure that all live sperm have died or worked
their way out of his system.

Neutering will not change his behaviour and he is quite likely to continue
to try to mount the sows for some time. Eventually he may settle for a bit
of rumbling and posturing.

I never have any of my boars neutered as I just pair them up with another
boar but, over the years, a few have arrived here already neutered. I have
seen two or three that continued to act "boarish" all of their lives. If the
girls get fed up with his attentions, he is likely to get a squirt of urine
in his face, which is guaranteed to dampen his ardour.

Good luck with your boar.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.