[Gpdd] HEALTH: Sparkles has soft poo

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 16 14:05:48 EDT 2009

Dear Corrine and Michael

My BG had this soft pooh issue -- a bit like cow pats. I tried cutting down
on greens and it helped a bit, but didn't make the problem go away. I never
did figure out exactly what was causing it. I expect you already know this,
but lettuce can make a gp's poohs go a bit soft, so maybe try cutting those
out for a few days (if you offer them), and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know of Sulfatrim, but gp's should never be on drugs for more time
that is absoultely necessary as it can cause other issues, such as kidney
complaints, so if the issue persists, you could try charcoal powder or
charcoal tables. This was suggested to me for BG by Vedra at the Cambridge
Cavy Trust. If you use the powder, it should be three quarters of a TEAspoon
a day until symtoms improve. If you use the tablets, then three quarters of
one of those, once a day until symptoms improve (you can crush the tablet
between the backs of two spoons). You can mix the powder (tasteless) with a
little mashed banana or Critical Care and syringe in. I had to play around
with the dosage a bit with BG, as I found that I could go a few days before
needing to offer the charcoal again. (Be aware, Sparkles poohs will appear
very dark while on the charcoal).

Does she eat a good amount of hay and dried food? If for some reason she has
dropped off on eating as much of them, that could be at least part of the
reason.

As well as the charcoal, you could also try giving Sparkles some probiotics
to help with her gut flora, as if that goes a bit awry that can cause soft
poohs.

I was never keen on the idea of making BG have less fresh veg, but I did cut
back on fresh fruit, as that can make a gp loose. I watched BG for ages to
see how he ate, and I couldn't see that he wasn't eating the right amounts
of all his variety of foods (dry and fresh) the way he always had, and I
never got to the bottom (excuse the pun!), of why his poohs got soft.

Please keep us in the loop on the Digest of how Sparkles is getting on.

Kind regards

Carole