[Gpdd] [Health] Dillon

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Sun Oct 18 23:46:41 EDT 2009

I'm so sorry to read about Dillon. Keep trying to get food into him.
If he doesn't like baby food carrots try some other flavour he might
like. At this point you might want some fruit or something on the
sweet side to stimulate his appetite. Amy, a pig of mine, liked baby
food peas. I would also water down apple juice to stimulate his
appetite and hydrate him. (I'd water it down half and half and give a
few syringfuls.)

The small poos are probably because he isn't eating enough.

My vet would give one of my piggies a shot of vitamin C and B to
stimilutle her appetite. It often worked. Also try some lawn. Piggies
love grass.

His mouth probably hurts. Something soothing might help. Peter
Guerney suggested barley water and barley for guinea pigs with UTIs.
I found guinea pigs love it.

"Home made barley water is made by cooking pearl barley at the ratio
of ten parts of water to one part of pearl barley. Barley varies,
some makes soaking up the water more than others so it can be up to
fifteen to so monitor while cooking and add a little extra water if
necessary. Make small amounts for it will not keep for more than
twenty four hours.

The resulting water is is one of the best demulcents there is, being
very viscous. Leave until cold and the syringe little and often to
the patient.

Liquidize the cooked barley with cucumber or the animal's favourite
vegetable and syringe this in too. This is usually more acceptable
than the water and as this too is very viscous it will have the same
effect of soothing the inflamed tissue. Though you are doing nothing
more that treating the symptom this can have the still be very
effective. By soothing the tissues the body's immune system can have
a better chance of knocking out the bacteria especially if you back
this up with several other therapies."

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cystitis.htm

Evelyn