[Gpdd] HEALTH: Sparkles update

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 03:27:53 EDT 2009

Hello everyone and everypig!  Just wanted to let you know, that today, Monday, Sparkles had 'cow pies' in the morning.  It was slightly smelly.  However, after cleaning her pen and periodically checking on her, during the whole afternoon, she made only pellets!  We had a call in to the vet, who later asked us to not give her the antibiotic for 24 hours (she's on sulfatrim with BeneBac given two hours afterwards, twice a day) to see if the antibiotic is the cause of her soft poos.  So we'll see how tonight and tomorrow goes.  Then, if her poos are soft, the vet said that he'll treat her for 'worms.'  He did look under the microscope and did the 'fecal floater' testing already, and didn't find any parasites.  However, as many of you probably know, we don't have any 'really good' vets here.  The vet we currently have now has repeatedly said that he doesn't know that much about guinea pigs, and when we asked him, did say to us that currently, we are his only
 guinea pig patients.

Sorry to repeat, but could we again ask, what medicines and dosages we should suggest to the vet?  We're sure he has his resources, but perhaps he would find it helpful if we could also provide him with additional information.

Many, many thanks!!!!

Corrine and Michael