[Gpdd] HEALTH: Update on Donald

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 2 09:24:08 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Another (quicker) update re Donald.

........ after a couple of emails from very caring members, I cancelled Donald's appointment today to have his teeth trimmed under anaesthetic.

I'm taking him tomorrow to have them trimmed without anaesthetic, just using the bucchal pad separators and rasps and bone rongeurs - Vedra sent me the bucchal pad separators & rasps 2 years ago when I went through this with Archie, and I bought the bone rongeurs on eBay for the whopping price of $US9.99!!! (My local vet was very impressed with the quality of the rongeurs and said for him to buy from the supplier would cost $120AUD at least!)   So, when I visit the vet I take my own equipment with me (including $10 head lamp)!

Tonight Donald had his nose up his cage mate's backside, so I took some of the pellets from Hamish, mashed them into the Critical Care, and added probiotics, vitamin B and vitamin C.   He obviously knows there's something lacking in his diet.

I'm persisting with Daktarin Oral Gel also.

Carole has texted Vedra and Vedra now knows there's an urgent email with x-ray photos to look at, so I'm praying and hoping Vedra can come up with something.    Maybe I just need to stick with Daktarin, continue to have his teeth trimmed every few days without  anaesthetic, get him on to painkillers twice a day, and just be patient?

Also, Ann had a great idea about worming and gave me info on the gut parasites that a piggy gets, and how they create havoc especially when the piggy is sick.      So, she had wonderful advice, which I'm taking too.

Not only will my vet be guinea pig savvy at the end of all this - but I think I might end up quite knowledgeable after all the info you wonderful friends have been sending me!!

Love and God Bless you all!
Julie & Donald & all the rest xx