[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey needs to gain weight!

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 07:21:03 EDT 2009

Two things I know of can be done to restore gut flora, although I would
advise first 2 things  1. treat for mites and internal parasites with 2
doses of Ivermectin or Revolution. There are lots of parasites, including
mites, (there are 5 kinds) that you will not find in tests  2. Do do a fecal
float to check for obvious worms and such, its a simple test cant be done
while you are there, skip any scrape tests for burrowing mites, it hurts the
piggie, and it wont find the other 4 kinds, just treat as above then no
worries. Wash down his living area real good at the same time he is treated
and bathed, use vinegar or bleach and really hot water.  Vacuum his area
with vacuum that has a single moth ball in the bag, then discard the bag or
contents of the no bag canister right away outside, wash it or install a new
bag, I dont recommend leaving moth balls in vacuum bags although they are
great for disposing of dust mites, unless your vacuum is kept in a separate
room kept closed off from normal activities, like a laundry room or garage

After his the 2 things you can do is go to a respected health food store or
Whole Foods like grocery and check out their probiotics, usually
refrigerated. Look for a product with many different kinds of bacteria as
piggies dont need the kind that make yogurt, they come in capsules you can
sprinkle on his favorite greens.

Make sure he is eating his own cecal poops, the ones he reaches down and
snatches as they come out and has gobbled before his head is back to the
full and upright position. In extreme case or if he lives with other pigs
you can feed him one from another pig by smashing it with a little warm
water. The trick is finding one.  Hopefully this would be from a pig who has
had the ivermectin or Revolution in the previous month so nobody is being
exposed to new parasites

lastly always make sure he is clean and not impacted down below either from
his rectum (clean with a q-tip and nose plugs (for you) or the penis
(slightly different subject) make sure it extrudes all the way and isn't
gummed up so it wont extrude or pass urine, clean with vegetable oil and
then a quick bath

Hope these measures help  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam who graced me with a rare
visit from his pirating adventures and took a bite out of one of my computer
keys and then gave me that "gee mom, it doesn't taste good look" as if it
was my fault