[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey's latest appointment.

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 8 20:57:41 EDT 2009

Hershey was thoroughly palpated again, about which she grumbled but never whined. Her teeth were checked thoroughly, and her ears cleaned. Gut noises were much improved--back to normal. We obtained fresh fecal samples for floating. She received fluids, and will be getting benebac as soon as it becomes available (it should arrive any day now). There is no palpable evidence of an ovarian cyst or stones, but that doesn't rule it out, as they could be pressing on the intestines, causing the small droppings. So we're prepared for xrays if the probiotics don't help by the end of the week. We're to avoid changing her diet right now, but she has gained 50 grams!!! Because of her dramatic improvement within one day of antibiotics we're both thinking there was a simmering infection that had crept in and gradually built in strength. She'll be on ciprofloxine until Friday, and hasn't needed the anti-pain/inflammatory for days. Overall, she's eating, she's
 enthusiastic about life, and I wouldn't think anything was or had been wrong, except for some small droppings.
Hershey's attitude has been great. She even ate her hay in the doctor's office!
Dr. Stewart and I have talked about the possibility of surgery should the need arise, and she said she's had very good results. One sow had an enormous amount of scar tissue to the point where it was hard to visualize the ovary, and she's happy and healthy a year and a half post op. And, yes, they use isoflurane. So I feel prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.
Joanie