[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Getting a piggie to trust you

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 9 14:57:53 EDT 2009

We had a newcomer to the digest some time ago, and they asked how to make friends with their piggie. I deferred to the more knowledgeable amongst us, and no one made any contributions.
I can't recall your name, but I apologize for dropping the ball. I'm hoping others will contribute more info as they read this.
When Hershey came to live with us, she was very small and extremely shy. I gradually won her over with words of encouragement as I stood by her cage, moving slowly and offering yummies such as small bits of romaine lettuce, parsley, carrots, bitty bites of apple and other fruits. Rather than give her one big serving, I'd give her a wee bit every time I passed her cage, along with more loving words. Also, I tried to keep her at eye level, so I wasn't looming over her. Eventually, I was able to put my hand in the cage while holding food. She was too skittish and wiggly to catch and still is, so I use her sleeping bag to get her out of the cage, putting food in the farthest corner and waiting until she's safely inside to lift her out, still in the bag. She freaked out whenever I'd touch her; she'd cringe or bolt. It felt awful for both of us. Then I got the idea of asking if I could pet her, so she'd see it coming and prepare for it. It took about a month
 of me asking, "Can I pet you?" then gently touching her before she became comfortable with being petted.
If you start out with a fraidy pig, don't be surprised if it takes awhile for them to enjoy your company, Don't give up, and don't be afraid to ask for help. This time we'll be listening!
We're really looking forward to hearing about your new furkid, and I'm sorry I wasn't here for you earlier.
Joanie