[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR Getting a piggy to trust you.

Suzy Dünser suzy at dunser.com
Thu Sep 10 16:01:53 EDT 2009

I think the main ingredient in getting Rocky to trust me was food. He
still doesn't like being caught, but once I have him, he's fine - I
can pet him anywhere without causing shaking or cringing. He will also
let me pet him in his cage under the following circumstances: usually
just after I've given him food (breaking the rule to let an animal eat
undisturbed), but sometimes also just if he's in the mood, I put my
hand in front of him, low down, and the first thing I do is stroke him
along the jaw from underneath. He loves this, so after a bit I can rub
the top of his head, and then he sometimes even lets me pet him on his
whole body. Key to the operation at any time is not to surprise him!

I'm not sure how I finally got to this point with him, but it was
probably just catching him (in the beginning with his cuddle bag) and
feeding him on my lap. Quite soon he started eating while on my lap,
and eventually would continue to eat while I pet him.

Persevere... eventually they do come around!

Cheers and wheeks from Suzy and Rocky
and Cocoa in our hearts