[Gpdd] HEALTH: Treat suggestions

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 12 13:27:30 EDT 2009

Hello, newcomer. I hope you've returned to us!
You'd asked about what kind of treats to give you soon-to-be piggie. One thing I do is use another brand of pelleted food (not one with chunks of corn or seeds mixed in) as a treat. If your little one likes it, you can give lots of treats without feeling guilty about giving them junk food.
Romaine lettuce (not the round heads of iceburg lettuce, which are harmful) is a favorite, along with baby carrots (I quarter one lengthwise and dole it out all day), celery tops, and small slices of zuchini or yellow squash. The main thing is don't overdo it, especially as the piggie's tummy is adapting to new foods. And if you give little bits all day when you're home instead of dumping it all in the cage at once, your cute little pet will have that more positive interactions with you.
I hope this helps! And I hope you're reading this. I'm sure the other members will have even more suggestions.
Joanie