[Gpdd] HEALTH: The risk of a ruptured caecum

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 07:10:19 EDT 2009

Hi Joanie.  You know I'm not a vet so the following suggestion is from a lay
point of view. I did watch an active bunny medical list for a couple years
and they had vets advising, bit that's not to say they would advise as I am
now.  I know that the tissue of a piggies stomach is very friable so its
difficult to sew up once surgery is complete and I have never heard of a
cecum being impacted or operated on.  Having said that I have heard of
successful surgeries done before rupture on the stomach. If you wait till
rupture the chance is very small, more likely she would die quickly and not
well.  Looking back at her history we know she swallowed a cherry pit in
August and has had problems since, I dont know if it passed or if its
relevant, but its part of her history.

If you wish to consider surgery I would think it would have to be done
before rupture and I have heard of a few positive outcomes for stomach
surgery esp. after rupture. The biggest hint I can give is to put some wet
not damp, critical care into the stomach before its sewed, as one of the
biggest problems with surgery is getting the gut to work again afterward. I
dont know if a cecum can be opened but perhaps once in your surgeon can
break up the mass from the outside by massaging it directly, again risky
because its already impacted. I dont know if she can give a small enema to
lubricate just prior to the surgery.

If you chose not to go into surgery, which is a very understandable option,
I would go for euthanasia as soon as possible. Otherwise you are waiting for
the rupture which would be painful and very likely fatal, if not
immediately, certainly soon after from infection.

If you ask for euthanasia I would ask the vet for a strong shot of narcotic
painkillers first as I think many times the procedure is painful if brief.
If you bring her home ask the vet for the necessary meds in case of rupture
to PTS yourself. Your vet can advise you of her method, which you will want
to know even if she stays in the hospital.  If you opt for surgery I would
instruct her to immediately euthanize, right there on the table, if it goes
badly, first the painkiller IV and turn up the isoflurethane. These are
extreme solutions but I think you are asking for our true feelings and these
are mine, at all costs avoid the pain.  I am so very sorry this has turned
out so badly and I know you are in very great pain yourself, please remember
that you stayed on top of this, taken her to the vet and been a good piggy
mom, and I am so very sorry.  The last piece of advice would be to see if
she can consult with a University vet school for additional hints. I wish I
could offer more.  To sum up, I advise not to wait for a rupture, make a
decision to treat or PTS first so as to maximize any chance for success, and
minimize Hershey's pain. You both will be in my heart and prayers. Thank God
for the loving times you have shared, its what makes a life, even if cur
short so very precious.  And your vet can advise you if she thinks my advise
is bad, in any case its well intended, I wish I knew more.
Sincerely Sandy