[Gpdd] MISC Patagonian Cavy

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Sep 14 04:27:03 EDT 2009

Hi Alyssa,

I love Patagonian Cavies too, in fact I love to see any creature in the guinea pig family.

Last week I visited a cider farm in Kent, England, called Badger's Hill. They also sell farm produce, garden ornaments and water features, which they make from the cider barrels but best of all, in the fields behind the farm shop they have a few animals. One can walk around the fields, which were ancient orchards, and visit the animals, among which are a group of Patagonian Cavies, also called Maras.

This time, there were two little babies! Like our piggies, they are up and eating grass from day one and these two were following their mothers around, occasionally suckling milk but mostly trying out the grass. They were gorgeous.

Quite off topic but this farm also has a wonderful and amiable Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig ( I adore real pigs as well as the guinea variety ). On a previous visit, it was a very hot day and this pig, which is free range, joined us in the queue for ice creams. So sweet!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.