[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey is home at last!!

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 14 22:35:14 EDT 2009

When I got to the vet's she looked unresponsive in her carrier and was stiff, cold and motionless, and her eyes were bulging. I was wondering if I should take her home at first, but the moment she got in her cage, she was transformed! I can't remember her ever being more vocal or voracious. I think she's as glad to be home as I am to have her home, and, yes, it feels like home again. She's napping a great deal, but begging for greens almost every time I walk by. She's supposed to eat a generous cupful a day. I'm wondering if collards, bell peppers, and cukes would be too gassy and if carrots and fresh grass might be sweet enough to cause the dreaded fermentation. I raided the produce aisle, then I figured I'd poll my GPDD friends for suggestion later. I'll be giving her simethecone, flagyl, and cisapride (for motility) for a couple weeks, and benebac (probiotic) once a week for the rest of her life. My hope is reborn! Now if she can keep eating,
 drinking, and pooping, life should be great again.
I was so afraid she'd go back to being really skittish after having so many shots twice a day, but she's friendlier than ever! Now medication time might be another story. At least it's not injections.
Thanks for all your love and concern. Keep up the prayers; we're not out of the woods just yet!
Joanie