[Gpdd] [CARE] Dandelion greens

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Sep 14 23:32:49 EDT 2009

Dear Dana,
I do not know why my piggys love dandelion greens. There is a produce
stand near my house on Sheldon road and West Norfolk street that sells
large bunches of dandelion leaves.  I also grow dandelions. I bought the
seeds from seedrack.com. Dandelion leaves not only have vitamin C but
are very good for the urinary tract. In fact in French they are known as
the herb that makes you wet the bed because of their strong diuretic
properties. They have been used medicinally as a herbal remedy as far
back as the 7th century for diabetes, disorders of the liver and as a
laxative, tonic, appetite stimulant and aid in digestion. My area of
pharmaceutical science is natural products biochemistry. Dandelion
leaves today are used primarily in salads, cooked like spinach and made
into wine. The leaves themselves are bitter and cavies are known to have
a low sugar tolerance. Possibly cavies like them for the taste and they
help them digest their high fiber diet. They yellow flowers are also
high in carotenoid pigments, especially lutein. I did my dissertation on
the antioxidant properties of carotenoids. I am sure you have heard that
lutein in good for your eyes and especially for people who suffer from
night blindness. It is possible that cavies have learned that these
delicious plants are good for them and that is why they eat them.
Just an educated guess.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.