[Gpdd] CARE Dandelions

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Sep 16 08:05:01 EDT 2009

All of the Piggyfriends were horrified to discover that some slaves have to BUY dandelions. I told them that they should consider themselves lucky that I only have to step outside the door to gather some for their delight.

My lawn is never ever treated, except by the addition of many piggy poos during the summer as their pens are moved around the grass, so there are always dandelions to pick. I also grow them in the vegetable patch, along with their other favourites, chickweed and sow thistle.

I have never seen them for sale in England but maybe, with all the rain that we get, they are seldom in short supply for those with pets to feed. I also collect them for a friend who makes wine.

I do not know why they love dandelions so as I find them to be bitter but maybe that is the attraction. They love the stalks and flowers too.

They are a wonderful natural diuretic and my dear old Halloween, who is on meds for a heart condition is first in line for the best leaves every morning. Dandelions are high in potassium and help to replace that lost due to his meds.

For anyone who does not know, the laxative qualities of dandelions can make for soft poos, so don't overdo the leaves and always pick the freshest, greenest ones. Here, in damp old England, they begin to attract mildew as the summer draws to a close.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.