[Gpdd] Gpdd [Health] [Rufie the piggy-update]

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 15:15:52 EDT 2009

I use Kaytee Timothy Complete myself for Shipwreck Sam, who now is demanding
to be called Sammy when he's not on official pirate business, he likes that
it goes with Sandy.  What is the "mix" your other pigs eat and what is
Rufie's diagnosis?  Was he just overweight along with the cyst?  Having
Critical Care at home in the frig for long term freshness is an excellent
idea for all piggie parents, longer kept unopened, once opened use fast and
order more within a month. One hint, the Timothy complete is Katee's hi end
food, and is good for all pigs, esp. in terms of Vit C. They say they use
stabilized VitC but since they are not a hi end company so you want to make
sure all your pigs are getting fresh pellets they should be used within 6
months of manufacture(well thats a best practice for ant pellet). For
instance my new package says best if used by Sep 24, 2010, so thats not a
manufacture date like Oxbow has, and that date is a year out, too long for
Vit C in my experience. Maybe I just talked myself into going back to Oxbow,
Anyway, the point is that an open bag of any food should be used as quick as
possible,  so it may be better if all your pigs eat from the same bag to
turn it over frequently. Plus it says it has 100mg of Vit C per lb of feed,
a pound lasts one pig a long time and piggies need 30mg a day, and
supplements from Oxbow are 50mg tablets, so I'm thinking Kaytee doesnt have
enough Vit C unless you are also feeding a supplement and plenty of fresh
Vit C foods. In swiching foods there are 2 methods, one mix the old and the
new until they are used to the new one, 2. Feed only the new one and if they
are reluctant you can kind of force the issue, by cutting back on other
foods. Some piggies will resent this, some really smart ones out there.
Sandy and Sammy, not currently shipwrecked.