[Gpdd] CARE: Bedding

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 12:33:16 EDT 2009

Lots of people seem to be fans of fleece bedding. I'd like to hear how many
GPs and square footage, how many fleece mats you have on hand, and how often
it's changed and how many loads of fleece laundry a week? Just curious.

I tried this once, and it was a hideous disaster because the gps I had at
the time were both old and passing a lot of urine. It would smell within an
hour or two. I have never tried the fleece on the healthy younger pigs I
have now, so it might be viable.

At the time I tried and failed with fleece, I still had the problem of  a
very old gp who lived on as a semi invalid for a long time -- and I ended up
using towels in their house. It was pretty time consuming and I had to
change them a lot, and I had to lay them over a lot of newspaper to absorb
wet spots that would occur between changes, but the towels allowed her to
more easily get around.

I will probably continue to use SANI CHIPS, dust free and baked hardwood --
no phenols. Not soft and fluffy, but clean and dry and it packs into a
surface that they can get a grip on.

Cheers,
Vic