[Gpdd] HEALTH: Now Hershey has diarrhea

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 03:42:36 EDT 2009

cut down or eliminate the lettuce and all veggies, feed pellets and hay
only, dont cut her water.

It would be helpful if I had the answers to my previous email I know only a
fraction of what the vet said, what all her symptoms were

As of now I can guess she is still on medication Cisapride, Flagyl, was
there an antibiotic, if so tell me which one, only certain ones are ok for
piggies, so if she's on the wrong antibiotic that can cause diarrhea. Also
suspect the Cisapride. It could be that her impaction has completely
cleared, you have corrected her diet, including removing any grains you may
have been giving but haven't told me about, you have said her behavior is
back to normal, in other words, she may be so normal now that the Cisapride
is no longer needed. Stay on the Benebac

Keep in mind I am not a vet, just a medically oriented amateur, I had RN
training when I was young, but never worked at it, and I have a long history
with many guinea pigs and 2 years on the bunny medical list. That's all I am
so I am no replacement for a vet.

The only medication that is safe for diarrhea is kaopectate in small
amounts, check guinealynx for the dosage do not give Pepto-Bismol or
Imodium, very bad, but if its the Cisapride you probably wont need the
diarrhea, if its the wrong antibiotic, it is needed, antibiotic induced
diarrhea is very serious.   One other thing occurs to me, you said your
husband was removing the contents of gel tabs of gas-x, is it possible that
the content are in oil? if so maybe she's getting too much oil and that's
giving her the runs, if so try the infant drops, its a liquid in a dropper,
I think it has sorbitol in it so dont overdo that either, it can cause the
runs.

Do not stop the Benebac, if you dont have it yet go to the health food store
and get a product that lists the most different gut bacteria, ones that work
on other than milk products, the best ones are usually refrigerated. Do not
give yogurt

Talk to the vet as soon as possible and keep her butt clean, and keep her
well hydrated even if you have to syringe water, if she gets dehydrated she
would need sub-Q fluids at the vet. Please give us a full report.
best of luck and healing wheeks
Sandy and Shipwreck Sam