[Gpdd] [MISC] Sawdust and wood shavings

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 23 07:25:23 EDT 2009

Dear all

I have been in communication with my local Council regarding a pet store and
the way they are keeping their gp's.  There's a few things they did concede
were not ok about where they lived (such as the brackets for the water
bottles being so high up on the walls that the gp's couldn't actually reach
them).

However, the gp's were on sawdust, and I had read in several places that
sawdust was not a wise bedding option for gp's.  I never used it for BG and
Artie because of that, but I am being asked by the man at the Council why
sawdust shouldn't be used -- I guess he wants official confirmation on the
topic before deciding on if the Council instruct pet stores not to use
sawdust anymore.  I have read that with cedar shavings gp's are allergic to
the cedar oils in it and that over time they will develop problems in their
internal organs, and that some immediately develop rashes.

Of pine shavings, I have read that it can not only bring about liver damage,
it's also a home for mites.

Does anyone have any thoughts about sawdust and also know of any good
websites that explain clearly the problems/concerns with using such
shavings?  It would be really helpful to hear thoughts and opinions before I
write back to the Council.

Many thanks

Carole