[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey's last stand

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 23 15:49:45 EDT 2009

Sorry I haven't had time to read any emails for the past few days. Hershey's head tilt, nystagmus, and equilibrium have improved, but she's had difficulty eating. Today, I took her to the vet to see if her jaw was dislocated, as her incisors didn't look aligned. The vet pulled out a lot of food from poor Hersh's little mouth. She has been unable to swallow because, as we find out, she has facial paralysis on the tilted side. Also, her left eye has no reaction to anything, including touch.
I'm devasted to say that if she can't swallow we'll have to send her to the Bridge. She'll have an evaluation today of her swallowing ability. I fervently pray she'll be able to swallow, and I hope you will, too. She's been through enough without spending the rest of her life being force-fed Critical Care (which she loathes--both flavors) and having her mouth swabbed clean after every feeding, and the gut and teeth problems such a diet would entail.
Here I go, crying again. We'll know the results tonight, but I may not be in any condition to email for a couple days. Where there's life, there's hope, but I'm running out of it.
Thanks so much for supporting me.
Love to all,
Joanie