[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey continues to improve!

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 23 23:02:06 EDT 2009

Of course, anything I say about her health could be no longer applicable by the time I type it. Rather than euthanize, the vet suggested she keep her for a day and assess her ability to swallow when syringed Critical Care. She was ravenous and, as long as she was fed slowly, swallowed with no problem. So I'll be syringing three times a day (at least) for the next week when we'll assess whether to try hay and pellets. It's SO hard not giving her treats. The vet said a little bit of banana would be okay. Hershey voices protests (loudly) with her doctor's decision. I was sure when I left her off that I'd never see her again. What a thrill to see her bright and wheeking to me with a full tummy! Even if it's for one more day, seeing her happy is worth the trauma we've experienced. She could fade away at any moment. But she's home now, and contented--well, not contented, exactly. She keeps murmuring about romaine and cilantro and carrot and...
She's so much more alive than she was this morning and she's a lot more coordinated with barely a tilt to her lovely head. I'll take every moment I can with her as long as it doesn't cost her pain.
Gary felt so badly about Hershey that he surprised me with a baby piggie, which we're keeping separated in a different room for obvious reasons. I would've waited until things got calmer, but he knows me pretty well and felt I'd need it. She's a long-coated Abby with a white stick-up crest on her mostly red body. She fits into the palm of my hand. She's scared, of course, and I'm giving her time to settle, which is easy to do with my attention focused on her big sister.
I'll keep you updated. Whew! What a day!
Joanie