[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey's last stand

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Sep 24 00:28:55 EDT 2009

Hi Joanie, I am continuing to research,  the three drugs that are commonly
given for e.c. are   (Albendazole( Albenza, Eskazole, and Zentel),
Oxibendazole, Fenbendazole (Panacur), which are members of the Benzimidazole
family, and one new drug studied in a paper by Esther Van Praag the owner of
medirabbit.com called pyrithramine, her article is here
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.pdf

Flagyl ( metronidazole) is in the same family  as the ones ending in -zole,
but I have never seen it used for e.c. Flagyl would be given in dogs and
cats for worms and protozoa, I dont know why it doesn't work or isn't used
in buns and go.up.'so. I think your vet thinks she has e.c. covered but she
doesn't. The Oxibendazole or Fenbendazole are the ones I see used , I
suggest a switch, one of the references thinks the Oxibendazole  works best.

I did find that e.c is usually treated also with an antibiotic because the
parasite munching in her brain causes abscesses which become infected, the
cause of death is a type of encephalitis, and there is an inflammatory
response which is why baytril is often given together with the anti
parasitic drug AND the NSAID metacam which also treats pain, so for e.c she
needs 3 different kinds of drugs above including one of the three -zole
drugs, plus she has to be slowly weaned off the Cisapride article below
Please take the time to read these, hopefully I have been clear enough that
you can convince the vet, but I have been reading for hours every day and
have not found flagyl used in rodents for e.c

The diarrhea was probably caused by the Cisapride, Baytril doesn't commonly
cause it, banana is good for giving pills, you hide the pill in a dab and
put it in her mouth. Have you watched the vet feed the Critical Care? I
watched my vet and she got a lot more in than I did. She held him up in her
lap, while I had him more in a normal standing position.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.pdf  this is
an article  instructs about e.c. Dont worry
Please know that I have no interest in making you more miserable, but I dont
think this vet has correctly diagnosed e.c. or treated it properly. For e.c.
not only is the ant given, but the Baytril and the NSAID Metacam I mentioned
in the previous letter, it not only reduces the pain but reduces
inflammation which is a side effect of the parasitic protozoa . As you read
these article you will see the specific progression of the infection. First
she had the hind end paresis which is typical of the beginning infection, it
goes to the kidneys then works its way up the spinal cord to the brain,
where the head tilt comes in, the effects to eyes of nystigmus, and she can
go blind it can affect her facial nerves.

Here is an article written on allexperts by Dana Krempels PhD that will help
explain your vets choices, I'm hoping the word guinea pig Can be substituted
for rabbit, that is what I have based my advise on, note the article is not
about e.c.  The stasis link is the same one I gave you last week
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Sick-bunny.htm  please note this
article also refers to ileus which is interchangeable with stasis

If it were to turn out that she has an ear infection the Baytril and Metacam
would be indicated for that , here is a link about antibiotics in guinea
pigs:
Guinealynx says "They describe the PLACE rule as a rough guideline for
antibiotics to avoid. [PLACE -- penicillin, lincomycin, ampicillin,
amoxicillin, cephalosporins, clindamycin, erythromycin] See Dangerous
Medications for a more complete list of medications that have caused serious
problems and sometimes death when used on guinea pigs."  Here is the whole
link.

Between Dana Krempels and Esther van Praag you have the 2 finest rabbit vets
and researchers I know of
If you have an questions please ask, I have thrown a tone at you Best
regards
ps i wont be avail Saturday going to a Pearl Jam concert