[Gpdd] HEALTH e.cuniculi

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Sep 25 10:51:45 EDT 2009

Jaime,

In a lifetime of piggy care I have never come across e.cuniculi in piggies or, with hindsight, encountered anything that might have been attributable to this illness.

After reading Sandy's post about Hershey, I did a little research myself and came across that article on buns that I posted as I hoped that it might be relevant.

Various articles intimate that it can happen to piggies although it is most common in buns. I freely admit that I know nothing about buns and hope that one of our bunny experts might shed more light upon this matter.

>From the little research that I had time for, Panacur is often mentioned as one of the remedies for buns and it occurred to me that maybe the reason that I have not encountered e.c. is the fact that all of my piggies have a three monthly dose of Panacur without fail. Maybe it is just a coincidence. Maybe very few piggies suffer from e.c. anyway. I draw no conclusions from any of this and I leave that to the experts.

I was very interested in the side effects of Flagyl in high doses that Sandy discovered, which also fit Hershey's condition. Did she post this to the group or just to me? Here is the link in case it was not to the group. The section on side effects is half way down the page.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=532&S=0

If only we knew all the answers. Still the more we all contribute, the more we might learn.

Sandy also posts about the contents of our gp first aid kits. Mine is vast and contains meds that are probably only available in the UK ( or have another name elsewhere and with different dosages ) so I am not sure if my list would be of any help to slaves overseas. I am also a great believer in natural remedies which may not sit well with other members.

Still keeping paws crossed for Hershey.

Penny and the confused Piggyfriends.