[Gpdd] HEALTH: More Hershey questions

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 30 15:14:44 EDT 2009

In response to Sandy, I'll try to answer your questions while my mind is clear. Keep in mind that I'm prone to depression, which causes forgetfulness when it sets in.

You made a statement that I hadn't attempted a cure for Hershey. I was attempting with all my heart and resources. If I was misinformed by the professionals I trusted I'll have to live with that, so please don't rub it in. She was, by the way, on albendazole when she died. I know you feel responsible for failing to get through to me, and you needn't. You gave it everything you had, but I couldn't even concentrate on what I was reading anyway. I was (and still am) so distraught, it was so much easier to take the tangible hand the vets offered.

Now on to the questions:
Regarding cysts: X-rays and palpation showed no sign of them, though they could've been tiny. She had been acting hypersexual for a couple weeks. The fact that she reacted positively to the antibiotics tended to indicate that an infection was involved. She started becoming more active and playful the very day after we started the drugs. Sadly, that didn't last as her gut gave out.

Regarding ears: I'm a retired audiologist. I used to test for vestibular problems. When I saw the nystagmus and dysequilibrium, I ran with it. When I saw the occluded ear canals, and there was no sign of mites under the microscope, It all shouted, "EARS!" to me. In humans at least, visualizing the ear drum can show whether it's retracted or distended, reddened, or ruptured. It was none of the above, which led us to believe we were looking at a nervous system problem. At this point things got really scary, as if it wasn't before.

Regarding former deaths:
Blobby died suddenly. One day she wasn't eating with her usual enthusiasm. The next day she was dead.

Vrie's body just stopped working. She began wasting away a few months before she died at age 7. She faded until she became too weak and gave up on walking, so I fed her in place and gave her lots of wet greens. Since she appeared to be in no pain and still ate voraciously, I let her reach the Bridge in her own way, in her own time.

I hope we can lay this thing to rest soon. It's ripping open wounds that have only begun to heal. I know others will benefit from your questions, but I'm weary and depressed, and I have a new little life to be responsible for.

Hope that takes care of things. Again, thank you for your intense research.

Joanie