[Gpdd] Health UTI

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 6 18:13:54 EDT 2010

Hi Anne,

I went through almost exactly what you are describing with my piggie Doris a few years back.  I also tried extended periods of antibiotics (Sulfatrim/Bactrim), which seemed to control the infection during treatment, but often a month or six weeks after they were discontinued, the infection was back.  (It also seemed to me that the infections were getting worse each time --- more bleeding and more pain while peeing.)

What finally ended this cycle was one really bad UTI which happened to occur while my regular vet was away --- her partner decided to try Baytril instead of the usual.  That not only cleared up the infection much faster than the response time with the Sulfatrim, but that was the last infection Doris had.  It's now been over a year and she has not had a reoccurrence.

In retrospect, I wonder now whether we were using the wrong antibiotic all along, and that successful outcome happened because we finally hit on the right one?  Could your vet do a culture & sensitivity test to see which antibiotic works the best on the particular bacteria you are dealing with?  Good luck and let us know how things are going...

                                                                                      Pat S.