[Gpdd] Health: WHAT HAPPENED TO WHEEKY

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Apr 9 17:59:33 EDT 2010

Julie,

That is such a sad story about your precious Wheeky.

I lost my SCAMP Mayflower, Gingerbread's sister, in similar circumstances.
One evening she was fine, eating up her veggies, the next morning she was in
pain. Despite me rushing her over to our Rodentologists, where she received
the utmost in piggy care, she did not pull through.

The verdict was that she had died of gastric torsion ( twisted gut ) - the
same as Wheeky.

Our Rodentologists call this a "design fault" in piggies. There is no way of
preventing it and no way of treating it either. It just happens. They have
seen it happen in young piggies when "popcorning" and once lost one of their
own dear piggies in the same way.

None of this makes it any easier to bear but maybe knowing that there was
nothing that could be done might prevent one from laying blame at one's
door. It cannot be foreseen.

Hugs for you and your remaining seven boys.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.