[Gpdd] chin sling

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Apr 10 03:37:37 EDT 2010

Teeth dont usually go bad because of age. I am not expert but guinea pig
teeth grow quickly so I suggest over growth in the molars so that he cant
push food back far enough to swallow or an abscess which is very common.
X-ray can determine both. To find out if your vet is really teeth savvy ask
if he uses bucal separators to examine and aid in trimming the molars. If
not dont go forward with that vet, get a referral to a veterinary college
with an active rodent program or tell us where you live and we will see if
someone here knows a good one near you.  A good vet can trim these teeth
without anesthesia which is dangerous for piggies, using anesthesia is
dangerous to be clear. I believe we have a procedure in our archives written
by Ann Evans or some one at the Cambridge Cavy Trust in England, I will see
if I can find it, also I recommend a letter to our Ann Evans, I believe she
knows about proper procedures for teeth.Also check www.guinealynx.info  for
info on teeth and procedures and join their forum as there are very
knowledgeable people on that board. In the meantime try to make the hand
feeding as frequent as possible and thin so he can just swallow. I will
forward your info to Ann and see if can add to this.

Dont use too much orange juice as it is very sweet which is also harmful,
elder pigs can and do get diabetes from too many sweet. As long as you are
making a slurry you might add ground up Vit C rather than allot of juice

Some vets will want to use anesthesia for x-ray also, but a piggy can be
restrained properly without, a recent procedure using a shoebox the same
size as the piggy was mentioned. Again old age doesn't make teeth go bad or
chin muscles deteriorate, the sudden onset indicates a fast growing
obstruction or infection.If so a chin strap would seem to me to be less
helpful than trimming the teeth or treating the abscess.  So good luck and
stay in touch  Also please try to determine if your piggy is in pain, the
massage I mentioned yesterday should bring pleasure not pain, if you find a
sore spot you have a clue where to focus your search. Also have the tongue
checked well as an overgrowth of teeth can cause a sore tongue or even a
blister.  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam