[Gpdd] Health: What happened to Wheeky

dukejan1 at aol.com dukejan1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 19:50:55 EDT 2010

Julie,
I am so sorry about dear Wheeky's crossing.  I didn't know that gastric torsion (twisted gut) happened to piggies. Then to hear that Penny's  Mayflower also was a victim!  Thank you for alerting readers of the Digest about this condition.  I previously thought it was a condition limited to dogs and larger animals.  Until last month.....

Lily's X-rays and sonogram from late Thursday night showed no torsion, but by early Friday morning, the X-ray showed it.  She originally was admitted with bloat and stasis.  The gut twisted sometime during the night while she was in piggie hospital receiving great care. So I have to agree with Penny and her rodentologists that this condition cannot be foreseen or prevented, so please don't beat yourself up.

It is my hope that your memories of Wheeky will comfort you in the future.  You are a great piggie Mom and Wheeky knows that you did everything possible.   I know how terribly hard it is, since I lost Lily exactly one week after you lost Wheeky.  Keep the faith.  We'll get through this.

With deepest sympathy,
Janet