[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Starting to feel a little concerned...

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 22:10:56 EDT 2010

Hi Jana,  Your additional info gives me much more info on his daily care and
it's clear you do know about piggie care and diet allot. I would still
advise you to drop the biscuit and treat stick. His constant eating of hay
and pellets carrots will keep his teeth down. The ingredients used to keep
treat sticks together are usually sweet and not found in nature unless its
honey and piggies dont eat honey.  They do not eat dried peas and corn flour
in wild, even in their raw state in the whole vegetable in the wild they
would be consumed with huge amounts of grasses, and not as refined flours
and they are just too high in proteins and carbs without associated fiber.
So the baked hearts are made with wholesome ingredients, just not for guinea
pigs. I do feed the inner husks of home grown husks. I beg you to consider
this, sweet veggies will cause diabetes over time, and since we have learned
to properly feed our piggies they live longer often 7 years or more.  I have
had over 50 pigs in my long life and no teeth problems and no abscesses.
Seeds get stuck and cause infections, and the hulls are too sharp an
indigestible. Please just think grasses and related that are found at ground
level. Also wild piggies get lots more exercise than ours even if we give
them floor time so pets have a mush harder time working off natural sugars
and starches. Even the rabbit site Etherbun which has vets as members dont
allow these treat sticks or biscuits for rabbits who are bigger and run
harder and faster. In fact the seed and nuts are associated with getting
mouth problems, they are too hard and get stuck where they shouldn't.  For
the chewing you recommend hard wood twigs like apple are often used, but not
seed and grains.

For the veggies you would like your piggie to eat try serving both you and
him a plate. They learn to eat from their moms and wont eat things they dont
see their moms or herdmates eat as a matter of survival as the parents
learned form their parents and so the whole herd knows what not to eat as it
may be poison. I meant to mention this yesterday about the tomatoes. I only
serve them in season and apparently my Sammy forgot in the long off season
as he is refusing them too. But again they are tasteless store bought ones
so may he is right.

You can monitor your piggies diabetes with dip sticks in their urine, but
they have to have it so bad they are spilling sugar for it to show up that
way,and piggy diabetes is extremely difficult to treat with meds, Prevention
and treatment with diet is the best way.  I wish your Guido a good
convalescence and continued good health after that. Hopefully if anyone else
on this list knows other things that will cause his symptoms they will
write.  Best regards Sandy and Shipwreck Sam