[Gpdd] MISC Welcome Benita and Lulu

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Apr 25 13:45:07 EDT 2010

A big piggy welcome to Benita and Lulu. I hope you will enjoy being a part of our international group of piggy lovers.

In your reading up about piggies have you come across these websites? GuineaLynx

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

and Peter Gurney

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Both of these contain a wealth of piggy info.

There are many of us here with lots of piggy experience gained over very many years so please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

I would advise you to find yourself a good piggy vet. It is better to find a vet before you actually need one as a sick piggy can go downhill very quickly. Many vets do not know the first thing about guinea pigs so ask around. I suspect that you are in the US and Guinea Lynx has links to good piggy vets or someone on this group may live in your state and will be able to give a recommendation.

http://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

Lulu has already told you that she does not care for yogurt "treats". Sensible girl. The finest treats for piggies are a good supply of fresh, wholesome veggies.

Guinea pigs, like us, do not manufacture their own Vitamin C and this is essential to their wellbeing. My herd munches its way through a mountain of veggies every week. They love carrots, cucumber, celery, parsley, cos/romaine lettuce, broccoli ( leaf and florets ), cauliflower leaves and others. In the fruit line, some of my piggies adore tomatoes ( some hate them ),  melon and its rind, many enjoy apple but cut it into small pieces as the acid in the fruit can cause mouth sores. One or two will eat banana.

My herd eats its way through bucketfuls of freshly cut grass, which is a fine ( and free ) food for piggies but not readily available to all. Grass must be gathered from a place where no pesticides or herbicides have been used. There are many garden weeds that they love too but you need to be certain of their identity so I will leave this for another time.

Hay is vital to a piggy's digestion so buy the best that you can. Other US members can tell you what is available and can also give you the names of good dry food or pellets.

As she is an "only" pig she will need lots of love and cuddles. I believe that the best present for a piggy is another piggy and all of mine live in pairs ( boars ) or groups ( sows ). They are herd animals and can get lonely so their slave has to make up for the lack of a companion, unless you intend to rescue some more piggies.

They soon learn that the plastic bag might contain something tasty and it is always worth wheeking just in case. Don't let her chew the bag. There is something magical about a plastic bag and piggies will do their utmost to chew one. I am always careful when visitors bring the herd something in a plastic bag and warn them not to put the bag near the pens. The tiniest piece of plastic can get trapped in their intestines and can be fatal to a piggy.

I hope that you have a lot of fun looking after Lulu. Guinea pigs are very addictive.

Hugs for Lulu.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( a little piggy rescue in England ).