[Gpdd] announcent new memeber

becassell1 at peoplepc.com becassell1 at peoplepc.com
Tue Apr 27 12:50:18 EDT 2010

Everyone....

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to try to remember all the comments, if I miss anyone I apologize.

 I have checked out guinealynx.com.

And I do have a vet that knows about guinea pigs.  I've taken Lulu twice to have her nails trimmed.  I took her to another vet but after a couple of times when I called they did not seem interested.  I got out the yellow pages (business listings in the phone book for you non-U.S. members) and remembered an ad I saw  last year in the paper for a new animal hospital with one of the vets and some exotics small animals.  There was an ad in the phone book that was the same one in the paper.  They are near enough and accessible.

To whoever asked where I am.....Taylors, SC  It is part of the "greater Greenville" area.

I do buy Timothy Hay.  I thought Lulu would also like the compressed cubes of hay to chew on.....some, but not so much....but I am going to keep putting what I've already bought  out and see if she comes around.

She doesn't really like tomatoes or bell peppers.  She likes kale, collard, and turnip greens.   And *yes*, it is worth a wheek and a dance around the pen when a plastic bag rustles....it just might be carrots or hay in the bag.  Oh, and she adores Cherrios and if that is the cereal I have on hand sometimes I'll add a few to her food dish.   BTW....the irony isn't lost on me that I buy veggies for Lulu to snack on and Cheese-Its or chips for myself.

She has a few quirks, like if she is in my lap she insists on lying in my lap so that she is facing my right.  I can turn her around to the left or "up and down" and after a minute she will turn herself around. I haven't been able to figure our what is so special about that position.   Her favorite "toy" is one of those cylinder boxes that had oatmeal.  I opened it up on both ends and she runs in and out and chews the rim.  And sometimes she likes to climb up from my lap and lay on my chest with her head on my shoulder.  And she is the only one who appreciates my singing.  While I am holding her to brush or just snuggle sometimes I sing the first verse of "Your Are My Sunshine", but I sub "Lulu" for "Sunshine".  And sometimes I just make up little songs as I go along about how smart and pretty and sweet she is.....totally unbiased thoughts.

I use Lulu's photo for my Facebook profile pix.  However I don't make regular posts there and mainly use it to keep track of friends that for whatever reasons I don't see regularly.                            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000776357939     If the link doesn't work she is chocolate brown with a gold band on her back and down her face with gold flecks through her fur.  She is a short-hair.

I bought one of those hard plastic kiddy pools for her to have as an exercise pen, but she spends most of her time in it investigating the rim and has twice managed to boost herself over and out.  So I have to keep close watch on her.  If I have to leave the room I put her 'pigloo' in the pool and she runs in it.  I am thinking I need to get something like window screening that I can wrap around the outside to raise the height.  She could see out but not *get* out.

Benita