[Gpdd] HEALTH polycystic ovaries

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Apr 30 08:28:16 EDT 2010

Hello Ann,

My wonderful Rodentologist is able to feel for these cysts and manually
"pop" them. He told me that the contents of the cyst are sterile and are
just absorbed back into the body. My Crystal had one treated in this way a
couple of months ago.

Occasionally a sow can develop a harder cyst - he describes it as being
leathery - and this will not disperse. My Lavender had one like this in
November 2008 and she was treated with HCG injections. The letters stand for
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin.

She had one injection on that day and a follow up one a month later. This is
often enough to shrink the cyst but sometimes a third injection is needed
and she had another the following month.

Since then, she has been clear of the cysts and I would recommend anyone to
try this course of action as spaying and the attendant anaesthetic can be so
dangerous for our little piggies.

Good luck with Maisie and hugs for both her and Cinnamon, who has been such
an excellent piggy nurse.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.