[Gpdd] Care: Weird Wheeking!

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 02:50:53 EDT 2010

Deb, that was very definitely the piggy singing phenomenon. Dont count on
hearing it often although a few have reported piggies who sing with any
frequency. Whee have had a ton of discussions on this over the years as you
well know, and most has been around the subject of "are they happy or sad
or?"    Many have had experiences that would seem to support any of theses
causes.  I have only experienced it once in person. I had a silkie named
Peter who had fallen desperately in love in his cage mate Pedro. Often there
were three in the cage peaceably but there was never a question as to who
was the couple. I believe Peter was an uncommonly intelligent piggy, he
seemed to be able to understand situations and consequences.  Anyway one day
I scooped up Pedro just to do his routine grooming which the piggies were
all accustomed to and which was done in the same room so the piggies all
knew who was where etc. But this time it seemed to panic Peter that his
beloved Pedro was being taken away and he broke into the piggy song right
then and there with me about 3 or 4 feet from the cage holding Pedro and I
and all the other piggies become immobile until Peter finished his song,
whereupon I returned Pedro to the cage and groomed him another day. It is
stunningly beautiful.  So I cant say that it is done only when happy or sad,
but maybe its an expression of strong emotion, maybe of several kinds of
emotion as others have said they were sure the singing was a happy thing,
but most have been unsure.

So for some reason the thunder and lightning scared your Winnie, maybe there
was more static in the air than usual or the extra company had Winnie a bit
more on edge. Knowing this I would take time to be with the girls during a
storm whenever you can. Whatever the cause, and I'm sorry Winnie was
distressed, it is a real experience to hear. With love and wheeks, Sandy and
Sammy