[Gpdd] HEALTH Eating poo

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Aug 11 17:17:03 EDT 2010

Further to other replies, like Ann, I have only ever had one cavy who did this. He, too, had a malocclusion and had lost weight, despite syringe feeding. He would pester his companion boar constantly and badger him to produce poos for him to eat, so much so that I had to separate them as the provider was getting a sore rear end.

To make up for the lack of the B12 vitamins that are in the caecal pellets, I gave him a daily Brewer's Yeast tablet, ground to a powder and mixed with a little water. This was given him by syringe until his tooth problem was fixed by a new vet and he was able to feed himself properly and take his own caecals.

Then he was able to be reintroduced to his friend and never did it again.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.