[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] Guinea pig eating cagemate's poop

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 13:13:12 EDT 2010

I made  couple typo's in my first response. I did not mean to refer to the
parasitic load of iceberg lettuce, I meant to say I dont feed it to people
or piggies because the small amount of nutrition is overwhelmed by the
pesticide load, not parasites!! Sorry for the confusion.

Also I said to give celery and fibrous veggies in large hunks, actually
those stringy ones I cut small, it's every thing else I feed a whole serving
in one piece to exercise and wear down their teeth.

Based on the responses from our other members, the yeast pills, probiotics,
corrected diets etc, if she and the other piggies seem in good health and no
one is injured or loosing weight, and you can correct the diets and add the
supplements  I wouldn't run off to a vet unless you have a really good one
who knows piggies lined up. I would use this time to line one up as most of
us have found out that emergencies happen on evenings and weekends and you
need to be set up with a great vet by the time that happens.

Piggy poo, the fecal pellets you see everywhere should look very moist but
well formed and largish, so if every body is making these that is another
indicator of health. If your girl has little hard ones then we know
something in the mix of her poop chute needs correcting.
So far I have mainly discussed getting the balance of good bacteria in
balance for her. Sometimes the bad bacteria are overgrown, and cant be
brought back into balance just by adding the right probiotics, yeast, and
diet. Sometimes an antibiotic is used to kill off all the gut flora and then
all this good stuff we have been talking about is added and it takes hold
and becomes dominant and balance is restored, so if things dont improve you
may need to see a vet for his advice and treatment. Never pick your own
antibiotics for piggies, they cant tolerate very many and must be strictly
supervised. That would be our last choice if we cant get her balanced
without antibiotics.

Also be sure to get a supply of that nutritional supplement from American
Pet Diner on hand. Many piggy illnesses are first noticed when the piggy
quits eating and the key to survival is getting him or her to start eating
again, so having this stuff handy prevents tragedies.

After you read our answers and try a few things, see what fits in with what
you have observed be sure to come back and ask more questions or let us know
how she is doing

Hope this clears up my mistakes best regards and once again, good luck,
Sandy and Shipwreck Sam