[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Carmen

rmalsberg at comcast.net rmalsberg at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 14:46:45 EDT 2010

Our beloved Carmen piggy crossed over the Bridge Thursday, August 26, 2010 ,   around 11 am .   She had been ailing for about 2 months, and had started slowing down before that.   She would have “spells” when she would sit quietly not moving or eating, and each time we thought she was getting ready to leave us.   Turns out, she was, only very slowly, bless her little heart.   This morning she gave a great sigh, and peacefully slipped away.

Around five years ago, a colleague of mine kept offering me her daughter’s guinea pig, as the daughter no longer wanted to keep the piggy in her dorm room.   When Sundae passed, we needed a friend for Tosca, and so Carmen came home.

Carmen was an Abyssinian, with swirly fur the color of chocolate ice cream and with a caramel colored ribbon going down the back of her neck and a little white stripe down her nose.   She was not very cuddly, but was lively, opinionated and enthusiastic about life, especially when life included cucumber slices.

We figure Carmen she must have been at least a year old when she came to us, and we had her for five years.   She was always healthy, and enjoyed her carefree life.   Since 2006, she was a single mom raising a daughter, Shakira, the result of a smooth talking boy piggy who came in disguised as a girl.   We found another home for him, and mama and daughter lived together.

Recently Carmen ate less and less and slept more and more, oddly, just like my dad at the end of his life.   She had good days and not so good days.   Whenever I would pet her, Carmen would purr reassuringly, and I hoped that I had reassured her, too.

During this time, Glynis and Pat have been wonderful, offering comfort and support.   It helped so much to have you there, thank you a million times.

And a special thank you to the GPDD, the most supportive community anyone could ask for.

RIP my delightful Carmen piggy.   You were loved and will be missed.   We are glad you spent your life with us.

Sorry for the very long post.

Wheeks,

Rayna and Shakira
Taffy, Sundae, Tosca and Carmen in our hearts