[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE Winkie

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Dec 4 14:56:14 EST 2010

Ellie,

I am desperately sorry that you have had to go through the pain of losing another of your precious piggies and send my most sincere condolences on the loss of dear Winkie.

Sometimes the bond between two piggies is so strong that one cannot go on without the other. Having cared for very many piggies over very many years, I have seen this first hand and, sometimes, there is just nothing that can be done. They really can die of a broken heart.

My sows, who live in groups seem more able to accept the loss of a companion as there are several other friends in the same pen but my boars, who live in pairs, can go seriously downhill when they lose their brother or best friend. Sometimes the addition of a new piggy in need will fill the space left by the lost one but I have had bereft boars who gave up eating in their grief and had to be syringe fed for days, even weeks, before they started living again. Sometimes they could not be comforted and followed their friend to the Rainbow Bridge.

Nothing that I can say will comfort you. I know this from experience. I always say "no more piggies " when I lose one and have been saying this for decades but another piggy in need will always come along and I hope that, one day, you will consider giving a home to more needy piggies. Good slaves are in short supply.

Hugs for Bennett and Pumpkin. I hope that loving them will give you some joy in the bleak days ahead.

With my utmost sympathy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.