[Gpdd] MISC Quiet Pig

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Dec 24 18:33:02 EST 2010

Ty,

I am sorry that you lost both of your precious piggies this year and welcome your new little one.

I have piggies that chatter to each other, some that shout for food every time anyone goes near their cage, some that squeak at an unfamiliar noise and others that never say anything. They are all different and I would not worry about your new babe if she prefers to remain silent.

I believe that piggies in a herd behave differently to a single pig. It seems to me that some are elected spokespigs for the herd and make more noise than the others, who prefer to carry on eating and not waste time shouting.

Of four little girls that came here last January following a raid by the RSPCA, two of them are noisy pigs, one when it is food time, the other if her best friend is removed from her sight. A third never wheeks but makes the delightful purring sound when the food arrives, particularly if it is fresh grass. A fourth one, Moonlight, has never uttered a sound even when having a routine checkup by our Rodentologist. She is a good eater, although with a limited menu ( her choice ) and has grown into a plump little lady but I do not expect to hear her say anything.

All four were traumatised by their previous life and it took a while for them to come around, especially Moonlight, who was too scared to eat when she came and had to be hand fed.

It may be that your new piggy will start to wheek at you but if she does not, it doesn't matter. Of course, she might be more inclined to squeak if she had a companion.

Hugs for your little one. May she bring you much joy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.