[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Fecal Tests

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Dec 29 12:25:23 EST 2010

Dear ME and the GPDD Family,

I am absolutely passionate about the need to prophylactically treat all
cavies every three months for internal and external parasites. This year
I will be giving talks at local veterinary societies about the
importance of prophylactic "worming" of cavies. There is a parasite for
every organ in a cavy including the blood and nervous system. I never do
fecal tests. Personally I feel they are a waste of time and money.  The
best treatment is prevention. The same drugs that I use for prevention
are usually the same drugs that are needed to treat an active infection.
The only difference is that it only takes one dose of each drug for
prevention. It may take 14 days of drug treatment to clear up a
parasitic infection. However, please keep in mind that we may be able to
kill the parasites but not be able to undo the damage they have done. I
advise everyone to purchase a copy of "Diagnostic Guide to Guinea Pig
Problems" by Vedra Stanley-Spatcher founder of the British Association
of Rodentology (BAR) http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/
Chapter 13 on page 32 is Routine Worming.
The book costs 35 British Pounds,($54) which includes postage worldwide.
You can pay by credit card or PayPal. This is the PayPal address
stanislinski at aol.com. It is th best investment you can make in your
cavies health. You can then take your book to your vet and show your vet
how he/she should treat your guinea pig for internal and external
parasites. Vedra has operated a guinea pig hospital for over 30 years
and seldom does fecal tests.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.