[Gpdd] Gpdd (Health) (Lasix, vets, piggies with health care issues)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:11:42 EST 2010

Hello Ann and all
I am catching up on emails so this is late.  Apologies for that.  Anyway I
think what happened with Cheyenie happened so suddenly that even though I
called in sick from work to take her right away to the vet the next day, she
had already decided to depart.
I really appreciate all you offer to Gpdd and am impressed.  I think with
Cheyenie, it all happened so fast (such as within 24 hours).  The reason I
gave the baytril to Cheyenie was I noticed her labored breathing and so
thought I could give her what I had left (which was just one dose) and get
her to the vet next morning.  I  had a pig named Ginger (Gin Gin was her
nick) which had heart disease and she could take furosimide (sp?) twice
daily in a liquid form (the kind for infants) but then she developed
pneumonia and there was not enough Furosimide (which is same as Lasix?) in
the world to save her.  She also had ovarian cysts but nothing like the
cysts that poor Cheyenie had.  how I wish I could convey better to the vet
the importancce of this care for them.  I am beginning to see what Sandy
means and others when they say that some vets kind of disregard piggies.
how dare they!
I am working at refining my assertiveness in conveying concerns with the
vet and the technicians  and still go to the exotic vet after I wrote her a
letter and mailed it via snail mail.  She then had called me and had lotsa
questions about what had happened and was very concerned about her staff who
probably were and weren't on the ball just like anyone, Then she asked if
when I call her office that I ask for only the vet techs and not talk to the
receptionists.  Their office is usually very busy...
anyway thank you for  the tips about furosimide (lasix) and I will see if I
can have some on hand in case of something like this --if another pig ever
seems to develop pneumonia.  I do not think little Cheyenie was the
heartiest piggie  and I just know she really wanted to be with Rufie.  She
really did depart 5 minutes or maybe less after I put her back in the cage
and told her it was ok if she went to Rufie.  The vet was due to drain the
cysts the following week, I know they were sad about it too

thank you
Ellen and pigges and bun