[Gpdd] [HEALTH] benadryl?

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 22:03:41 EST 2010

Dear Erin   No, not even close plus any symptom that you might think needs
Benadryl needs a vet attention, wheezing, what seems like a cold is
pneumonia tomorrow and the pig can be dead soon after that, piggies dont get
allergies, check for mold, black spots on his hay, dust in the hay, not
cleaning the cage often enough, the urine smell will choke them up, or if he
has pine or wood bedding change it for something like Carefresh or an
alternative, stove pellets without additives, etc. These are the common
causes and fixes for congestion. More seriously breathing difficulties can
be congestive heart failure which can be treated by a vet with Lasix.  My
Manny went from a congestive nose to dead on Wed even though he got
antibiotics right away. Dont try to fix this yourself.   If you need an
exotics or rodentologist, which is much preferred look up the lists on the
House rabbit society homepage www.rabbit.org. or Google for you own states
chapter, much better than a dog and cat vet. If you would like post your
piggies specific symptoms here and we will let you know what we know, but
the bottom line is a cold or congestion in a pig needs a vet in a hurry.
Good Luck Sandy and Shipwreck Sam