[Gpdd] [Health] Benadryl and Cocoa Puff

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 6 13:11:26 EST 2010

Hi. Once again, I need your help. Our little Cocoa Puff has been having respiratory problems since November.
He seems to get beeter, then he gets worse. Overall, his health seems OK, he's just gets snotty.
He eats well, drinks alot, runs around with his roommate Puffy, but he has thick white mucus that accumulates around his right nostril.
He's our piggie with the head tilt, and the tilt is to the left.

His current weight is 1.75 lbs (0.8kg). Since he came to our home in August at 1.4 lbs, he has continued to gain weight slowly.
He just turned one year old last month. He also has a runny eye, also on the right side, but it has gotten much better since he came to live with us.
His picture is still on my vets webpage:  http://www.atlanticdvm.com/ExoticPatientsArticle.htm

He was on Baytril 0.08 ml 2x per day for a month and seemed to get better. He was also on Benadryl per the vets instructions.

He seemed to get better, but a week ago, he started getting snotty again.
The vet prescribed 0.5 ml of benadryl 2x per day. The Benadryl is Children's Dye-Free Allergy (Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5mg per 5mL)
Last time he was on bendadryl, I was sure that it was 0.05 ml 2x per day.
Not wanting to overdose him, I've been giving him 1 ml 2x per day.
Does anyone know what the formula is for a 1.75 lb (0.8 kg) piggie?

Today, I contacted the vet again, and she wants me to continue with the benadryl (0.5 ml 2x per day) and add Baytril 0.08 ml 2x per day for 10 days.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've got six piggies now, so bags of food and hay don't sit around long enough to get moldy.
For litter, he's on unprinted newspaper (we buy it by the roll). We lay several layers flat on the bottom, then we add about 3-4 inches of shredded newspaper on top.  He also has piles of hay to play in inside his condo (my husband doesn't like to call them cages!)  He's got an Oreck air purifier that runs 24/7 in his room.

If you have any suggestions, we'd sure appreciate your help!  Thanks!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Chakalaka, Puffy, Cocoa Puff, Twinkie, Ghirardelli, and Dillon Forever in our Hearts