[Gpdd] [CARE] Advice on settling three young girls

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 23:42:26 EST 2010

If there is a way you can move the girls to a room that people are in for
the most time each day that helps allot. If you have a phone where they are
or have a cordless phone then sit by them when you talk on the phone. You
can read to them as well. Also when you go in you might remove the pigloos
so they at least have to occupy the same space as you. Another thing,
although for the long run I dont recommend chopping up their salads, for
this socializing time you can sit by them and talk and offer the salad one
bit at a time through the bars very slowly. Offer the choicest bits of hay
as well.  Sometimes an opportunity presents itself to easily scoop up a pig,
do that and sit right by the cage and pet the front part of the pig, if she
shoves your hand off her head respect that, but I know very few self
respecting pigs that can resist a rub on both sides of the mouth, under the
chin do one way stroking, and massage in front of the ears and along the jaw
line. Since their jaw muscles are constantly used I theorize that is why
they enjoy this so much. Sammy closes his eyes and has a very relaxed air,
while few pigs will tolerate their back or bums being touched and many
include the top of the head.  Try not to turn them over or hold them baby
style, just a very natural position your lap or chest, they want to feel
supported and safe. If it looks like Laura is the alpha sow take her out
first as the other sows will do what she does. Keep an eye out that her
status doesn't change by being first, I dont know that this could happen but
it's a thought. Nothing worse than a thwarted alpha sow over time. Time an
patience can only be hurried so much but if they can escape or hide they
will, and that extends the process and is why I suggest removing hidey
places.

If the cage is on the floor you can open it up sit next to the opening if
there is one, a put the salad on your lap. If you take out one pig in this
scenario you can take one of the subordinate sows, the alpha sow will be
hard put to resist what her sister is enjoying and may come out on her own.
If you cant get on the same level as the pigs you can just use pieces of the
scenario.  I also found that Sammy in particular doesn't like to be taken
from his cage for it to be cleaned, and I accommodate him on the times it
doesn't have to washed with vinegar, I use more paper on the bottom level so
it doesn't have to be all removed every time and just start rolling up
individual sections with as much litter as fits and remove one package at a
time. He thinks this is a wonderful game and he popcorns hugely, runs
around, tries to pee a little on each fresh section and is impatient for his
favorite part, the placing of the Carefresh, he helps, and then the hay
which he dives on top. He just thinks this is grand fun, and when he wants
the cage cleaned he lets me know by flinging bedding out, I get a different
signal when he wants to be held, which bye the way, is now, so I sign off
and wish you luck with your precious girls. Love  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam