[Gpdd] HEALTH: piggies and pellets

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Thu Feb 11 19:20:43 EST 2010

Awhile back someone posted about limiting the pellets their piggies
get.  I was wondering how that worked, the reasoning behind it, and
what, if anything, is substituted.  This might have been covered in the
original posting, but I can't remember.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if the pellets in
Tumbleweed's diet could be causing his problems with gas.  They are
high-quality timothy hay pellets, but the pellets are the only constant
in his diet (besides hay).  Since we can't seem to get rid of the gas,
I'm trying to think of anything that possibly could be causing it.

Back in the 90s, our rabbit, E.B. White (RIP) would never eat veggies or
hay.  He wanted pellets only (at the time there were just alfalfa
pellets available).  He was healthy, but I knew his diet wasn't
complete.  I finally read about cutting his pellets down to a tablespoon
a day.  He was mad at me when I did that, but suddenly he discovered the
wonders of hay, carrots, parsley, etc., and seemed to become a new
rabbit.  He lived to be almost 12.

So, is there any possibility that some piggies might need many fewer
pellets?

TIA for any help/advice/suggestions.  Tumbleweed remains alert, happy,
active, and eating well, but I would like to see some major improvement
in his health.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday