[Gpdd] [CARE] Advice on settling three young girls

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Sun Feb 14 15:25:54 EST 2010

Beki, in regard to getting Lara, Melody Muppet, and Mocha used to you, I can tell you what I did when Sunshine (RIP) and Tumbleweed came to live with us.  They were rescue piggies, and like your piggies, would run for cover when I entered the room.  It finally dawned on me to stop at the doorway, announce my presence, and then enter.  I'd say something like, "OK, boys, I'm coming in now."  Then I'd wait a moment and go in.  At first they continued to run for a hiding place, but after a week or so, they no longer felt the need to scamper off.

As for picking them up, some piggies don't mind being reached for, while others do.  I can pick Tumbleweed right up from the cage, but Friday vehemently disagrees.  In Friday's case, I have a short PVC tube that I coax him into.  I can then place him on the floor for floortime, etc.  As I'm "transporting" him, of course, I lightly cover both ends of the tube with my hands so that he won't jump or slip out.

I think you can generally start to get them used to you by standing at their cage and talking with them as you feed them.  After a few days or a week, you might reach in and pet them as they are eating.  If they run off, don't push the point but try again the next day.

Hope this helps.  Please keep us posted on their progress.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday