[Gpdd] CARE: Cats and guinea pigs

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 17 19:20:43 EST 2010

I have one cat who ignores piggies, and another who is so keen that, for the few moments she's indoors after her overnight lockup (to protect our cats from coyotes, mountain lions, and the like), I have to securely close the door to my room. Puff's on my dresser. The last time Lizzie Cat went in my room, I caught her midair as she leapt from the bed to the cage. I get shaky just thinking about it.

I wouldn't trust my other cat either. It just takes a sudden rodent movement or noise to trigger a cat. They can't help it; killing rodents is how they get by in the wild.

Another consideration is the absolute necessity of seeing a vet immediately if a piggie is bitten or scratched by a cat. I know of one person who actually died of a cat bite when antibiotics weren't immediately taken. Something to do with the kind of bacteria that thrive in cats' saliva and, hence, their claws.

If you're still considering a cat, here's a question to ask. What if it doesn't work out? What's your backup plan? I'd hate to see you bond with the cat, only to have to give them up, or to see your piggies to be robbed of their freedom.

Any tips on diminishing Lizzie's interest?

Joanie